Samstag, 8. März 2014

Back again

Time flew by fast and now it's been already two weeks since I've arrived safe and sound in Berkeley. This time I'll stay a little longer and want to share once again my experiences besides the work in the lab.

And after a short run this morning, I'm motivated to write something about what I experienced this first two weeks.
The apartment looks familiar and without problems I found my ways around Berkeley. So what to do when you arrive on a Friday evening, tired after a 12h flight and not yet accustomed to the local time and rhythm. Well go, grab a six-pack and go all the long way down the stairs until you get to Birdlands.

It was good to see some familiar faces once again from almost three years back, when we made our first expedition to this northern Californian city. There are some changes though and not everything looks exactly the same. Birdland is a bit less wild, but you still find great people to talk with and amazing bands are playing life jazz. Other things don't change and there are still a lot of birdhouses all around the garage and backyard. Enough Birdland for the moment.

I got lucky again with my flatmates and one of them needed some wine for work. So I could join her on a trip to Napa Valley.

My feet still remembered the way to the bus stop to go up the hill and this time, my supervisor was prepared that I would come.
Besides other things, I finally managed to ride a cable car in SF. And my curiosity didn't stop just on the ride, which lead me to visit the Cable Car Museum. An interesting place where you see the actual cable coming together and hear during the whole visit the clatter and rattle of the cables.




Just one advice, if you ever want to take a ride with this kind of public transport. Next to the Powell BART station is a final stop of the cable cars, where they are turned around and go back uphill. But you have always a long queue to get on. I wasn't motivated to wait I don't know how long. Therefore it was more convenient to just to wait at a cable car stop and jump in when it drives by.

So far from me. Enjoy the ride and have a good time.

Keine Kommentare: